Cobh Ramblers 0-1 Finn Harps
Mikey Place’s 65th minute penalty gave the Finn Harps promotion push another huge boost last night as Ollie Horgan’s outfit defeated Cobh Ramblers for the second time this season at St. Colman’s Park. The result moves Harps up to joint second in the League of Ireland First Division table with five league games left to play.
Horgan’s men are just behind Drogheda Utd on goal difference and seven behind leaders UCD who are now clear favourites to win the league title and go up automatically to the Premier Division. Shelbourne are two points behind Harps in fourth place followed by Longford Town and Galway Utd who are both six points adrift of Horgan’s men.
Harps were the better team last night but struggled to create clear cut chances and could actually been behind at half-time only for a super save by Ciaran Gallagher. The visitors did carve out some scoring opportunities but didn’t really test the Cobh keeper Paul Hunt. The breakthrough came in the 65th when Hunt brought down Jesse Devers in the penalty area. And up stepped Place to convert his second spot-kick in the space of a fortnight.
A one goal lead is always precarious and in the final ten minutes the hosts did put pressure on the visitors defence who managed to hold out although the red card shown to skipper Keith Cowan did put a bit of a damper on the super win right at the end of the game. Earlier Horgan had given new on-loan signing John Kavanagh his Harps debut from the subs bench.
Cobh Ramblers – Paul Hunt, Charlie Fleming, Kevin Taylor, Ben O’Riordan (Cian Leonard 70), James McSweeney, Craig Donnellan, Ian Mylod, Chris Hull (Jaze Kabia 83), Stephen Kenny, Gordon Walker (Dave Hurley 72), Shane O’Connor. Finn Harps – Ciaran Gallagher, Jacob Borg, Keith Cowan, Sam Todd, Ciaran Coll, Tommy McBride, Jesse Devers (Niall McGinley 93), Gareth Harkin, Olunatunmise Sobowele (John Kavanagh 69), Mikey Place, Mark Timlin. Not used: Peter Burke (GK), Mark Hannon, Liam Walsh, Aidan Friel.

265 total views, 1 views today

Share Button