Finn Harps 2-1 Shelbourne

Finn Harps U15s continued their 100% start to the season on Saturday afternoon with a hard fought 2-1 victory over a stubborn Shelbourne side. In what was a tense opening period of the match at the Curragh, Killygordon it was Harps who had the first real chance of the game when a neat interchange of passes from Daniel Gildea and Jamie McDaid allowed the former a strike on goal though Gildea couldn’t keep his effort from going over the bar.

Oran McGrath was unlucky moments later when he rose highest from a deep Joel Gorman free kick though like Gildea earlier his attempt went narrowly over the crossbar. In a frantic few minutes, Harps opened the scoring on the half our mark when Jamie McDaid out-muscled the Shelbourne defender before turning to unleash a low driven shot which Sean Farrell, in goal for Shelbourne, could only push out to the incoming Blake McGarvey, who pounced to fire the rebound into the unguarded net.

Shelbourne replied instantaneously when the ball dropped to Kevin Cummins inside the Harps area with his shot adjudged to have crossed the line after cannoning off the crossbar and down. Less than a minute later Harps had a chance to retake the lead when Gildea worked the ball out from his feet in a central area, his shot failed to be held by Farrell, though both McDaid, whose shot was blocked, and Caomhan Wheeler failed to capitalise when the ball came their way.

Shelbourne had their own chance to take the lead just before the break when captain Max Kelly latched onto a blocked effort though dragged his shot wide of the Harps goal. The second half saw Harps start much brighter, with Gildea’s solo run and shot narrowly wide before minutes later Corey Brolly hooked a shot from a corner off the Shelbourne upright.

Harps went back ahead with 20 minutes left to play when McDaid received the ball from Fionnan Coyle, the forward turned towards goal before delicately curling a low shot past the outstretched right hand of the keeper.
Harps saw out the final stages of the game and almost added a further goal with 2 minutes remaining when Gildea shot wide after being teed up by Daryl Porter.  Harps head on their travels again next weekend with an away trip to St Patrick’s Athletic who have also made a perfect start to the season.

502 total views, 2 views today

Share Button