Finn Harps continued their fine unbeaten run on Saturday with an impressive 4-1 victory at home to Longford Town, a win which lifts them to top of the U15 National League Group 1. ¬†Match sponsor for this game was Pat the Cope Gallagher. Harps, who have become known as a side for scoring early, got off to a flyer after only 3 minutes. Nathan Logue pounced to win the ball in the midfield before playing fellow Carndonagh man Luke Rudden though on the keeper. Rudden’s initial effort was denied by an outstretched hand of the Longford net-minder though Rudden followed in to score at the second attempt.

The Longford keeper was called upon again shortly afterwards when he produced a good save to deny Carlos O’Reilly after good play from Fionnan Coyle down the Harps right hand side.
Harps doubled their lead in the 13th minute when Jamie Doherty received the ball 25 yards out, the midfielder played a delicate defense splitting pass through to Rudden who composed himself before calmly sliding the ball underneath the advancing keeper.

Longford began to get a foothold in the game as the half progressed but we’re undone 5 minutes before the break when Kelan Collier’s left foot free kick, from the edge of the Longford area, sailed expertly into the top right hand corner.
Longford had a chance to pull a goal back late in the half though headed narrowly wide from an in-swinging corner.

The second half started much tighter with both side trading chances in the early stages. Longford’s best chance came 10 minutes into the half, though Pattrick McGarvey was on hand to make a fantastic double save, pushing the second attempt wide for a corner. He was called upon again from the resulting corner to once more deny Longford of a route back into the game.
At the opposite end Luke Rudden spurned a hat-trick chance when he headed over the bar from Jack Murphy’s corner while Kelan Collier low shot was wonderfully saved moments later.

Harps did add a fourth goal in the 63rd minute when Jack Murphy’s goalbound shot was saved by the keeper though the ball favourably fell to Daniel Gildea who fired home.¬† Longford got what turned out to be a consolation goal just a few minutes later when a free kick was saved by Adrian McLaughlin, though the Longford forward was the quickest to react as he followed in to fire into the Harps net.

Harps had one final chance to add to the scoreline when Adam McCaffrey saw his strike from the edge of the box come back off the upright before again falling to Daniel Gildea who was stopped by the recovering Longford goalkeeper.
Harps can now look forward to their final Group 1 home game next weekend against Monaghan United Cavan FP.

686 total views, 1 views today

Share Button